Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Successful trip

After 20+ years of making the Goldwing in the USA, Honda has decided to move production into their new state-of-the-art plant in Japan.

The last weekend in July is the factory sponsored Homecoming. It started off with a few hundred visitors and has quickly grown into a true festival in its own right with dozens of vendors, and thousands of visitors.

This years event was colossal! With over 7,000 bikes and 12,000 people, the event will most likely go down in history as a fitting fareway to this incredible production line. The employees that welcome you, show you around, and explain the ENTIRE maunfacturing process were all of the highest caliber and were genuinely glad to talk with you. They were saying that when the motorcycle production leaves, they will begin producing another line of Honda cars, so at least them and the local vendors that supply parts will still be working.

The good news is that I made the entire trip without having anything slip into the vortex!!

1 comment:

Phil Marx said...

Carl;

I had forgotten the name of your other website, so I wasn't sure how to get ahold of you. You're welcome to drop by anytime you want and take a tour of the inside of the shed. I drive the dark green GMC Sonoma and it usually goes where I go. I don't keep regular hours these days, so there's really no good or bad time to stop by.

Eventually, I do plan on inviting several local bloggers over for a cook-out, and you'll be included in that, but my house is just too messy right now. Drop me a line if you want. marxpd01@ipfw.edu